Thursday, September 3, 2015

Outset



I remember cracks in the ceiling with stories 
of broken glass dishes that created
 wishes from the man in the boat 
who couldn't see colors
and never left the sea.

I remember feeling stuck in stopped time only to realize
 you had left hours ago and I was still staring at the under side 
of the roof that I only climbed on once to show you
 fear shouldn't come in heights and falling only hurts when
 your body is tense and your thoughts blameful.

I remember trying to sink my teeth into ideas that sink ships 
and did I ever thank you for stopping me from drowning? 

I remember your laugh, addictive then poison 
because cancer stopped you from finishing.
All I heard were vibrant sounds too close together
and you always wondering if I ever listened. 

I remember deep breaths
as deep as oceans with slight interruptions of storm warnings,
fears too big for too small palms and no time for pointless interactions 
           with strangers whose eyes only see imperfections. 
I remember stomach aches  
still not as bad as heart aches
 but you already knew that.
So I cover my ears
  because too sensitive was the sound,
 they told me to leave the rooms. 

All of them. 

And I will never forget one too quiet Saturday morning
with news still haunting,
words imperfect,
and only good intentions
but left with mixed emotions
confusion from both sides of the equation,
and no time to explain the riddle.

4 comments:

  1. Ouch.

    "I only climbed on once to show you
    fear shouldn't come in heights"
    Great line. Fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made my body tense up while reading it (but in a good way)

    every line just dug a little deeper

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I remember trying to sink my teeth into ideas that sink ships" this. is. incredible. honestly took my breath away

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each line was so good. Loved it all.

    ReplyDelete