Wednesday, November 18, 2015

9 pieces

               

        Broke my heart into 9 pieces,

First piece slipped between the crack in the bed and the wall.
The color red started rising to the ceiling,
so I painted everything the darkest blue and
ended up with violet, I didn't mind it. 

2nd broke off when I saw your body shivering from the cold.
I couldn't control the weather, so I gave you my birthday money instead
then told you to love yourself.

The third piece sank to the bottom of the river.
I told you twice again,
"I dont know how to swim."
"I don't know how to swim."
You crossed to the other side,
so I learned how to save myself.

Fourth lay shinning on the street corner where fast lights
are attracted only to its beauty and regret piles up
from refusing to put on their seat belts. 
Now it's mixed in with broken glass while
unnoticed victims drive past.

The fifth one can only be heard through these guitar strings..
Can you hear it? Beating over bullet holes,
this one still beats.

6th is tied to the bottom of a balloon string that I let go of 
on your birthday. Heavier than a paperweight,
this piece had to make it to you.
You had just turned 72.

The 7th tagged along to the end of the word, "goodbye."
It still burns my throat to say it, always taking too long
to finally explain myself that when I had finally caught
the words you couldn't hear my voice anymore.

8th disappeared after you disappeared.
It still looks for you, but I stopped 2 years ago.

9th, but not last, this one happened so fast.
I stood speechless as I watched it pass.
No reactions or running after because
I knew this piece was too sharp to pull back.





8 comments:

  1. um, WOW. This idea and format is genius. I seriously just got the chills. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm still in awe but i think that was one of the most beautiful and eloquent things i've ever had the pleasure of reading. keep doing what you're doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing is always so beautiful and fresh. I love how it's unique and open to interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me curious as to what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. uhhh wow this is really good.
    First and second are probably my favorite,
    but the whole thing is beautiful.
    Nice job Iris

    ReplyDelete
  6. DAMN. I like the imagery you used good job:)

    ReplyDelete